Business and Economics
Lakin PRIDE is a volunteer community service group. Projects have included: the renovation of Ad McVey Park including the skate park, walking path, playground equipment and picnic shelters; the playground equipment and picnic shelters at Osborn Park; the decoration of the O'Laughlin Windmill for each holiday; the information booth and the redbud trees lining west Highway 50.
For their efforts, the Lakin PRIDE has received the prestigious Community of Excellence Award every year since 1998.
The 2020 Board Members are Jenny, White, Yoka Ritsema, Mike Broeckelman and Diana Loeppke.
For more information about Lakin PRIDE and their activities, or to become a member, please contact these people or the Extension Office at (620) 355-6551.
Online Business Directory for Kearny County
Improve your business connections through Kearny County's Business Directory. Add your business to the listing by completing the "submit a listing" button under the business tab.
Add your events to the county website, too!
For more information contact Ralph Goodnight, Director for the Kearny County Community Development Office at (620) 355-7358, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rural Opportunity Zones
Kearny County offers an unmatched quality of life and incredible financial value as a ROZ county. A ROZ county has the authority to offer one or both of the following financial incentives to new full-time residents:
- Kansas income tax waivers for up to five years
- Student loan repayments up to $15,000
To be eligible, for Kansas income tax waivers individuals must:
- establish residency in Kearny County on or after July 1, 2011
- live outside Kansas for five or more years immediately prior to establishing residency in Kearny County
- earn less than $10,000 in Kansas Source Income in each of the five years immediately prior to establishing residency in a ROZ county
To be eligible for student loan repayments, individuals must:
- establish residency in Kearny County after July 1, 2011 and on or after the date on which the county opts-in to the student loan program
- hold an associate's, bachelor's, or post-graduate degree
- have an outstanding student loan balance.
For more information contact Ralph Goodnight at the Kearny County Community Development Department, (620) 355-7358; or call the Rural Opportunity Zone program at (785) 296-6815; or email Kansas Commerce. Also, the Southwest Regional Representative is Carol Meyer, 801 Campus Drive, Garden City, KS 67846, (620) 755-6738.